Matthew Road Baptist Church began as Florence Hill Baptist Church in 1943 on Beltline Road. In the mid-1970’s, more and more people moved into the area. Recognizing the growth trends in Grand Prairie, the church, along with the Dallas Baptist Association, identified a 7.5-acre tract of land on Matthew Road. In February of 1980, Florence Hill was replanted as Matthew Road Baptist Mission. In August of that same year, Jim Haskell was called as its first pastor.
In July of 1981, ground was broken and the building was finished in December 1981. On July 3, 1983, Matthew Road Baptist Mission ceased to exist and Matthew Road Baptist Church was constituted.
The twenty-first century has been a time of exponential growth for Matthew Road Baptist Church. In the fall of 2001, the Preschool Academy of Westchester was established for our growing community, offering quality Christian preschool education 2 days a week. In October of 2006, we completed construction of a new worship center to welcome the people of our community into the family of God. In the fall of 2012, we established two separate schools to join with parents in providing Christian education for their students. The Primary Academy was created for Kindergarten through second grade, and Matthew Road Academy began for third grade through seniors in high school.
Missions are a big part of ministry at Matthew Road. The church is involved in missions at the local, state, national, and international levels. From backyards in the neighborhood to New York, Utah, Mexico, Nagaland, Haiti and Sudan, Matthew Road is actively engaged in sending missionaries and spreading the Gospel.